As almost of you lot know, opening this week is the new Ben Stiller directed one-act "Tropic Thunder." Since we've already run a agglomeration of reviews (hither, hither

and here ) and I've already written how much I loved the movie…let me continue the intro cursory.

For those that oasis't yet heard of the picture show….

Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr. lead an ensemble cast in "Tropic Thunder," an action comedy virtually a group of cocky-captivated actors who prepare out to make the biggest state of war film ever. Afterward ballooning costs (and the out of control egos of the pampered cast) threaten to close downwards the film, the frustrated director refuses to terminate shooting, leading his cast deep into the jungles of Southeast Asia for "increased realism," where they inadvertently encounter existent bad guys.

Trust me…that synopsis doesn't do the picture show justice. In that location are many, many scenes that had the entire theater laughing out loud and parts of the flick are and then filthy that you won't believe what is said. Again, I loved the movie and completely recommend information technology.

Anyway, I recently sat downwards with almost of the cast…and below is the roundtable interview with director Ben Stiller. It'southward a slap-up interview and i worth reading. As always, you can either read the transcript or mind to the audio by clicking here. Finally, if you'd like to sentinel some movie clips from "Tropic Thunder," click here .

Again, "Tropic Thunder" hits theaters this Wednesday. Get run into it!

Question: There seems to exist a sort of a petition online to take you keep on directing everything as everything you direct is merely great.

Ben Stiller: I love directing and that'due south my first love, definitely. No, it is. I really dearest directing. That'southward what I've always wanted to do and I feel like hopefully in the length of a career when I'k not acting anymore that I volition go on directing.

Q: You know, this is a great comedy, but it'due south too quite an activeness movie. Can yous talk about working with John Toll, the cinematographer?

Ben Stiller: Sure. Information technology was incredible. I hateful, we sent the script to Toll just because we felt we had to. We were like, 'Alright, we know he's going to turn us down, but we've got to send him the script just to say we did it.' And I got this recollect saying Toll wants to meet, he wants to talk. And I'd never met him before, simply I'd been a fan and I really wanted the picture show to have the look of a real war flick. That was actually important to me and then, we sat down and he's a really serious guy and he's a very measured guy, but he also has this really dry sense of humour. And, I sort of laid out what I wanted to do and we talked and we both sort of took a chance on each other I think, because we didn't know how information technology would work out. Simply it was amazing to be able to see his process and y'know, guys like that who are not bad with outdoor work – and he's amazing with lighting also within – but, it'southward all about where and when you shoot. So, to go out there with him and his nautical chart where the sun rises and sets and the azimuth and his compass and to say, 'Well, y'know, if you congenital the chemical compound at that place, then you'd have a nifty shot in the late afternoon and nosotros could shoot this way in the forenoon.' Just that whole process, because that's [why] they are masters of natural light. Those guys just understand when and when not to shoot and which way to shoot. It's an astonishing art course I think. So to be able to do all that and the action with him so to accept him work on a comedy, and he'd worked with Cameron a lot, but this is a different kind of comedy and y'know, for united states, to get him to shoot multiple cameras? That's something he really doesn't…multiple cameras shooting in one management. We shot iii cameras most of the time, because there was and so much action and actors, but to shoot a scene where you are shooting two actors beyond from each other most times cinematographers don't want to practice that considering you tin can simply light i style that they experience good about, just a couple of times I sort of convinced him, 'C'mon, I know y'all can shoot two means.' Because people were improvising so much and yous want to get both sides of information technology. Then, of course, he'due south so bright and great and he'd exist, 'Alright, nosotros'll practise information technology.' And, of course, it looks incredible considering he's just incredible. And it's the aforementioned thing, he's always would say at the end of the twenty-four hours, because the dusk stuff is e'er the best looking stuff, right at the end of the day, he'd be like, 'I dunno. Just go on shooting.' He'd expect at his low-cal meter as the sun's going down. 'I dunno if it's going to come out or not, simply keep shooting.' And and so of class you get into the dailies and this is the most astonishing thing. Information technology was really corking to work with him and we really spent a lot of time together and then in the DI, the final color timing, to see his process and how he can make – he showed me how you merely bring something up i signal how it affects contrast and lighting. All that. It was just really fun.

Q: In the notes you say satire was not your intent. Tin can y'all clarify this?

Ben Stiller: Oh, did I say that? What do I say? Shit. No, I feel similar the tone of the picture is information technology'south own affair and I recollect there are elements of satire, simply I don't think information technology should just be categorized just as that. There are elements of parody in it, but obviously, I don't think information technology'south but that. I feel like hopefully it'due south its ain thing, which has a real story, just a lot of familiar stuff that we are playing off of. And information technology'southward a genre that people know and y'know, I wanted it to hopefully piece of work as both something you lot could get 'Oh, that'south funny because I've seen that in that.' Just it'southward also funny if you hadn't.

Q: Does that mean the trailers and all the stuff in front of it aren't parodies? Are in that location any that didn't make it?

Ben Stiller: Um, we had a 'Unproblematic Jack,' the movie 'Unproblematic Jack,' there is a 'Unproblematic Jack' trailer that we shot that features Mickey Rooney which is awesome. (Laughs.) He plays like the angry subcontract possessor that'southward made because Jack accidentally kills one of his rabbits. Information technology's similar a very sort of 'Of Mice and Men' inspired vibe. And then nosotros have that trailer. No, that was information technology. The trailers were actually a lot of work. Then, it's non like we had a lot of extra stuff around.

Q: The mockumentary, what happened to that?

Ben Stiller: Well, what happened to it is it is finished now. Accept you seen the Reign of Madness website? So, we are releasing petty bits and pieces of information technology. Like every mean solar day or every other 24-hour interval upward until release there will be more little brusque bits from it. And so we are going to release it on Apple on iTunes I think like a week and a half later the movie comes out and and then it will too exist on the DVD.

Q: What is the running time on that?

Ben Stiller: It's a half an hour.

Q: Does it have the footage of Robert doing the medication in 69 or seventy?

Ben Stiller: Um, here is the deal. There is so much stuff we shot for that, what I wanted to do was put out niggling pieces on the Cyberspace and then have the total thing actually be some dissimilar stuff than what you're seeing on the Internet. So, it volition hopefully, mainly be new stuff f that you're seeing. Information technology is mainly new stuff in the half hour. And then because there is others stuff that didn't fit into it, on the DVD we're going to have outtakes and probably almost xv-20 minutes that'south not in information technology on the DVD. A lot of that is Robert sort of going crazy when he goes back to live, he goes back to live with the family of the character he is portraying and freaks out. He sort of has his postal service-'Platoon' syndrome thing.

Q: I just wanted to know how you could even know that Robert Downey, Jr. could have fifty-fifty washed that role?

Ben Stiller: No, I never heard him do the graphic symbol ever. I just knew he was a groovy role player. He'south brilliant. And it was really important to rent, to me, this part had to be somebody who actually was one of the greatest actors of their generation, which he is, but he also has a sense of humor. He's like the biggest, at that time, the biggest bargain genius actor on the planet. Y'know what I hateful? I mean he really was. It was like, 'OK,' Y'know, it'due south like because of everything in his life, this guy, he had his shit together and this is it. This is the moment of time to go Robert Downey and he read the script and he was like, 'Yes.' I remember he called me upwards and he read the script and he loved the script and hew as like, 'Yeah, this is just really funny. The story, the whole thing is not bad.' And I was like, 'Great, so alright, we'll start…' 'No, I gotta think about it for a second.' (Laughs.) Crusade he knew it was like a lilliputian bit risky and so he said yep and we did a read through right at the beginning before we went off on location. And that was the get-go time I heard him practise the character and he started to play around with it and it sort of revved upward and it was amazing. Then he just got into this groove and was but astonishing.

Q: I take it that Tom Cruise never took offense when you parodied him on the Ben Stiller bear witness?

Ben Stiller: No, he's a really nifty guy. A actually positive guy. And to his credit, I went and I did that which I never felt was mean spirited so I felt OK showing it to him. He saw it somewhere, but then we did the Ben Stiller Show and we did the Cruise thing besides and a friend of mine was in 'The House' at the time, and I showed it to him downwards there and he loved information technology. I hateful, I would probably non have loved information technology if I saw somebody gave me – somebody doing me. I always requite him credit for that. He was always open to it. If you ever spend someday with him, he's like that. So we did this affair on the MTV Movie Awards like eight years ago and that was really fun. We had a good time where I was doing his stuntman and since then we stayed in touch and talked about stuff over the years and then I showed him the script and he really was intrigued past the idea of this movie and so he – I give him credit for this character. He really came up with this idea and it sort of spurred me and Justin to go dorsum and work on this guy, this character. And information technology helped move the story, because I needed to accept – I needed to explain what was happening back in the earth while the guys were out in the jungle, so information technology ended up being one of these weird organic things that just developed.

Q: Coogan said before yous put a lot of self-deprecating moments in the pic?

Ben Stiller: Sure, I think the whole movie is like we're all doing that. For sure. That'due south the point.

Q: Are there any you can signal out?

Ben Stiller: Well, all of it. Y'know, it's similar, the whole vibe of the moving-picture show is we're maxim look at how ridiculous this earth is and information technology's the nature of being an role player and being in big movies and the infrastructure around it and the way people get protected and the manner people sort of build fences effectually themselves, some out of necessity, just information technology'due south a very tough world to navigate, I recall. To maintain your equilibrium in information technology. Then, nosotros wanted to just have fun, because actors, I call back, accept a great sense of humour almost themselves and just say this is just ridiculous. This is non important. And there have been a lot of movies that have done information technology. I merely have ever institute that humor going dorsum to SCTV, y'know, all that behind-the-scenes stuff, I just personally find it funny and savor it. And so, I thought this was a film to do that and hopefully people will connect with the characters. That was sort of a challenge. How can this not be too inside? But, I'm probably not the right person to estimate that, simply I sort of went for my gut and then when we stated to screen the movie, run across simply how much people could connect with the characters. How much of a wiggle could Speedman exist? Could yous intendance about him or do you take to, or how far could he go? And, Downey 's character, strangely, was never an event. Because I call up he's such a persona and the graphic symbol is and so well defined that people were always on board with it.

continued on page 2 -------->

||Separate||

Q: Practice you think other actors volition arroyo you saying yous were mocking them specifically?

Ben Stiller: Oh, sure. Of course, I mean, honestly, that's similar the to the lowest degree of my worries. I actually don't call up actors are like that. They really enjoy making fun of themselves, because if you're in it yous come across how ridiculous it is. And it's like a bloodless law-breaking. You lot're not really going to hurt anybody. It was always important to me that the focus was always on the actors and information technology was clear that Robert's graphic symbol – we're not trying to practice a guy in blackface. That's wrong. Nosotros are trying to practice an actor who incorrect-headedly thinks he can do a blackness guy in a film and become away with it. That'due south wrong. Information technology'south going to far. So, that was really of import, that we always kept the focus on that.

Q: Whatsoever times where yous stopped and thought maybe we're going to far? Did you lot hold anything back?

Ben Stiller: Sure, there were aspects of my character, like I was talking about, similar in the beginning that I put on the DVD, the extended cutting because at that point, who cares if we're likable or not? (Laughs.) Um, merely that was one of the things, because my character is trying to prefer a baby and at that place'due south a joke where he like, 'I feel similar all the good ones are taken.' And information technology was always funny out of context, simply in the movie people always felt like people thought, 'Ugh, I don't want to watch that guy for the rest of the movie.' (Laughs.) Then, I cutting that from the movie, only ended up putting that on the DVD. That kind of thing. There was definitely, it was really like looking at the whole flick and wanting people to really become on lath for the whole ride of the movie. Then, that was ever the framework.

Q: But you gave a lot of thought to the retarded boyfriend?

Ben Stiller: Yep, for sure. Y'know, again, the same focus through the lens of 'What would an actor do to try and win an award that would be wrongheaded?' And that playing 'Simple Jack' was an obvious try for legitimacy and obviously out of context that could seem incorrect, but I felt within the context of the moving-picture show we've seen this happen in life. We all know, anytime an actor goes out and does that information technology'south really putting yourself out there. It's a really tough thing to pull off, then.

Q: Oasis't heard from Sean Penn yet?

Ben Stiller: No, no. Hither's the thing you say about player's having a sense of humour well-nigh themselves. Sean, I gave Sean the script to read then he knew about it and knew about it and he was totally cool with it to the point where at the finish of the movie at the Academy Awards, in that location is a pic of one of the Academy nominees' blind doing a character. And Sean actually posed for that picture and did that for the moving picture.

Q: How much advertizing libbing was there because Steve Coogan was saying you were yelling 'cutting' and he was going, 'Is he Ben or?'?

Ben Stiller: Well, that scene was ridiculously confusing because I was directing it and had my hands tied behind my back because I had fake hands which you lot demand your hands to direct I've realized and I'one thousand yelling 'Cut' and my character is yelling 'Cutting', you saw the movie, and so it was but very confusing. That was the most frustrating. There was a lot of improvisation. I mean, everybody in the flick improvises and is expert at it, so that was why we shot so much film and there is a lot to choose from in that mode, only one time yous go far to the edit of the pic you have to keep the story going forrad.

Q: Is anyone going to exist able to watch the opening scene of 'Individual Ryan' over again after this?

Ben Stiller: I watched it many, many times when we were working on the picture show. And the funny, the great thing most working on this movie and getting ready to practice it was getting to sentinel all these films again because I dear these movies. They are such good films and to lookout man that stuff. 'OK, we're gonna watch the helicopter scene from 'Apocalypse Now' to piece of work on, to get some ideas. And you end upwards watching it and you cease upwardly 45 minutes afterward and nosotros're all like just watching 'Apocalypse At present.' And it was the same thing with 'Private Ryan.' It'south like, 'Oh,' and so information technology'due south like 'Oh, god, Jesus, that'due south horrible.' So, you lot just get caught up in the movies because they are good. So, a lot of these prep sessions were just u.s.a. watching movies and and so the moment of like, 'God, is in that location annihilation funny in this? There's zilch funny in this. What are we doing?'

Q: Can you talk most 'Dark at the Museum ii'?

Ben Stiller: We are shooting it now. We are in the middle of information technology now. I'1000 enjoying information technology a lot because it's a lot less lonely than the starting time one, considering I get to run around the Museums – offset of all we're in the Smithsonian then we get to run into the Air and Space Museum and we get to get into the National Art Gallery and become into paintings and photographs. Amy Adams plays a statue of Amelia Erhardt that comes to life and she's running around the museum with me the whole time. It'southward a lot less lonely for me. Because a lot of the time I was dealing with CG things that weren't there. And we've got this incredible cast joining, Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan. Owen is dorsum. And also this time effectually we've got Christopher Invitee, which is merely amazing. I tin can't believe I'g in a movie with Christopher Invitee. He's playing Ivan the Terrible and Hank Azaria is playing the Egyptian bad guy. We actually have a bad guy in the motion-picture show. And so, it's proficient. It's actually been fun and we're about two/3rds through shooting.

Q: Information technology has been seven years since 'Zoolander,' and y'all're articulatio genus deep in 'Tropic,' but practice you lot have anything else you're thinking most directing?

Ben Stiller: Yeah, I mean there are a couple of other projects I've been working on for awhile. At that place is i in particular that I want to exercise, merely I think information technology will be sooner than vii years before I direct over again, aye, because I really bask this process so much.

Q: Another comedy or drama or?

Ben Stiller: It'southward not a big comedy. Information technology sort of like a picayune bit darker, but funny besides, but smaller, y'know?

Q: If I wanted to push whatever farther, any story you want to tell me?

Ben Stiller: It's not really a secret, I've talked about it before. It'due south this movie called ' Civil War State and Bad Decline.' It's based on brusk story past George Saunders and it'southward a great brusk story. It'due south about a guy who works in a Civil War theme park. But it's kind of dark and it goes to a dissimilar identify, but I love it and we've been developing information technology about as long as 'Tropic,' so I'm excited about it.

Q: 'Tropic Thunder II'?

Ben Stiller: Definitely non. For certain. No 'Two.'

Maya Hawke Joins Her Mother Uma Thurman in 'The Impale Room'

Read Next